Author Topic: My J plate white restoration B18FT  (Read 14980 times)

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
My J plate white restoration B18FT
« on: 09:49, Wed 05 October 2011 »
Thought i would start a thread here for those that are not on RTOC. I started this about 2 and a half years ago after looking at a few and enquiring about some others via email.

Here is my car as i bought it.

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: My J plate white restoration B18FT
« Reply #1 on: 09:55, Wed 05 October 2011 »
I then started on the painstaking part of removing everything, sanding, welding, treating with por15 and getting it ready for paint.

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:02, Wed 05 October 2011 »
I bought a mint little 30000 mile campus to help with the build, i used the car for mainly the doors, locks and front wings.

I used so many parts from this car, the front window, nearly all the rubber seals as they were in so much better condition, i used the lights from it, the window wiper motor, the widow washer bottle, wiring harness parts, i fitted the single petrol tank to as the gt had sprung the normal leek, so many parts i have forgotten most  :D

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:06, Wed 05 October 2011 »
I bought had also bought a rear bumper, new grill and a tailgate all in the quest for a standard looking car.

I then found a saftey device roll cage and got starting to dummy fit, i cut the plates and cleaned up the shell for my friend to come and weld in.

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:09, Wed 05 October 2011 »
I then went over the car with por15, car had no rust just was making sure i would never get any.

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:16, Wed 05 October 2011 »
I then purchased my bucket seats and made some mounts for the seats to go on.

Car and its parts the hit the paint shop, it went somewhere local first but i did not like the direction the car was going. I ended taking it to dave SBS in carlisle who has worked on so many of these in the past.

I decided against the original glacier white and opted for a more modern frozen white and a satin black cage.

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:35, Wed 05 October 2011 »
I bought a volvo 440 turbo and we started to the work with that.

We removed the engine which was a low millage car and then started to dismantle for the rebuild.

The gearbox was removed and sent for a rebuild.

I had the flywheel lightened and balanced and stuck with the 215 valeo as it was nearly new.

The camshaft was sent to piper for a re profile, the managed to make what they called a 279, just not enough meat on it to make a 285. I had to also buy some 5mm shims to lift the valves, which were also machined to suit.

I had the head at work and started to port and polish it with various pads and grinding tools. I had a new top and bottom gasket set to use for my porting. I made all the ports larger on the head in and out and polished them to. The inlet manifold was also given the same treatment and i ported the exhaust manifold, all just to the same size as the gaskets.

I was told this may be pointless for the sort of power i was looking for but it was all in bits anyway and i had loads of spare time at work  :D

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:38, Wed 05 October 2011 »

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:44, Wed 05 October 2011 »
After getting the engine parts back i started to give it a bit of a tidy up, the block was painted black and i painted the gearbox silver. I was not happy with the gearbox like that so the repainted in black to.

I had lots more parts i sanded and repainted, master cylinder, drive shafts and steering rack before that was replaced  :(

I also bought my gaz coilovers to.

gt5rob

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:17, Wed 05 October 2011 »
Looking good there, good progress  :wink:  what kinda power you going for? And what quote did you get for your paint job?
Cheers
Rob

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13:41, Wed 05 October 2011 »
love this project mate looking really fresh,was wondering what kind of under seal you were using there ? cheers

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14:37, Wed 05 October 2011 »
Quote from: "gt5rob"
Looking good there, good progress  :wink:  what kinda power you going for? And what quote did you get for your paint job?
Cheers
Rob

The car has not yet been on the r/r but i guess its 170hp maybe 180hp, its the t2 thats restricting me. I paid 700 for the paint job i think, it was a while ago.

I have another turbo in the garage but im sure if im going to fit.

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14:40, Wed 05 October 2011 »
Quote from: "bazr5gtt"
love this project mate looking really fresh,was wondering what kind of under seal you were using there ? cheers

I take it you mean the black stuff? That's por15 its a rust preventative.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #13 on: 14:45, Wed 05 October 2011 »
Phil, looking good matey get that T28 slapped on there and enjoy the difference.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15:06, Wed 05 October 2011 »
never heard of that before ,any good? thanks mate  8)