Author Topic: Cosmic  (Read 11103 times)

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Cosmic
« on: 13:00, Mon 19 September 2011 »
Just spent the morning tidying up the garage and wiping some of the crud of the paintwork ready for the Mrs to take some photos so I can upload them soon.
Been looking at the paint colour and as it's all over I'm thinking it's genuine and it stays for the rarity factor alone.

It does need some work though, I lost the keys and the 2 immobiliser and 1 alarm fob years ago and the engine hasn't been started in 10 years so it ain't going to be pretty. Over the years I have used it as everything from a storage shelf to a workbench, the paint is worn and scratched so badly that it has to be resprayed. The drivers side skirt is on the passenger seat and one of the TSW stealth alloys has a big crack in it.

Talking of which, I have no idea what trouble lurks in the drivers side front wheel arch. That's where I hit the roundabout which led me to put it in storage all those years ago. At least it taught me a valuable lesson, brake, lift then turn and not turn, brake, slide and smash :roll:
If you know of any links to sites that have any info on the pearly ones, pm please.

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic
« Reply #1 on: 18:11, Tue 20 September 2011 »

I cant beleive I actually managed to do this all on my own, well with the help of the forum and my Mrs.

But anyway this is My 5GTT, he's called Cosmic.
If you know of any links to sites that have any info on the pearly ones, pm please.

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18:42, Tue 20 September 2011 »

Getting a bit of a dab hand at this now :lol:

dj_craig_

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20:45, Tue 20 September 2011 »
Hi mate, car looks good in the pics must admit I have never seen another in that colour :-) good luck bringing her back to life an keep the pics coming now your a pro   :lol:

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:42, Tue 20 September 2011 »
really like the colour mate,if your gonna get it painted you have to keep it that colour she will look awsome ,having to upload to photobucket can be fiddly to start with but looks like youve mastered it  :D ,keep the pics coming mate !!!!!

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22:23, Tue 20 September 2011 »
I spy TSW stealths (well 3) & a clio cloverleaf on there... Car looks good though, lets hope the damage isn't to bad. Deffo a pearl white though.

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23:18, Tue 20 September 2011 »
pics pics pics more picssss!

Nice 5 matey, i know u reach a point where u don't know where to begin, but if you have love for it you'll do fine.

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07:06, Wed 21 September 2011 »
:wink: Cheers lads, yes you can see a couple of TSW stealths on the back I swapped them for the originals and a 100 quid way back in the day. I had to put 10 mm spacers on the hubs to clear the brakes even though they came straight off another GTT, the guy wasn't happy about it but he needed the cash for a mortgage deposit :twisted:  Wish I still had them though. We found the Clio wheels in the garage of a house my mate bought so he gave them to me for helping to move him in.
They are the only 4 wheels out of the 8 that I have with Tyres that will stay inflated for any length of time :D

The other TSW stealth has a mighty crack in it :oops:

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:36, Fri 23 September 2011 »
I have been reading all your stories of rust nightmares so as I had a spare hour this morning I had a root around the sills. The drivers side skirt was already off so I poked around with a screw driver and found a small patch of rust about the size of my little fingernail. A quick jab with a screw driver and this grew by 500%  :(

Still not that bad though as it is very repairable.

When I tried to take off the other skirt it was held on by a 5/16ths bolt and an old Alan bolt. Not good I thought but on the whole it seemed ok, the seam at the bottom of the sill was like a dogs hind leg but it's all do-able.

There was a curious thing that I thought you guys might know about, the clips holding the skirts on just crumbled into dust........and I mean dust. Is this normal and are they readily available or is there a better way of affixing the skirts?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19:39, Fri 23 September 2011 »
Yes the skirt clips are still available new.

http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/body-kit-s ... -600-p.asp

They do have a nasty habit of dissolving in your hand though, i found that out myself. They stay there for 20+years yet as soon as you touch them they disappear!  :lol:

dj_craig_

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20:08, Fri 23 September 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"

They do have a nasty habit of dissolving in your hand though, i found that out myself. They stay there for 20+years yet as soon as you touch them they disappear!  :lol:
Same thing here! Got a new set from ebay, I have a few spare in you need them mate :-)

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21:35, Fri 23 September 2011 »
Quote from: "dj_craig_"
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"

Same thing here! Got a new set from ebay, I have a few spare in you need them mate :-)
Cheers mate I will remember that come the day.

Was bonkers though, I saw them and thought hmm they look typically French and not straight forward I wonder how they work? As I reach over they crumbled into dust like a vampire extra on Buffy. :lol:
Saw lots of paint runs behind the skirts though, big gulps and hard taps but it all seemed kosher :|

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22:59, Fri 23 September 2011 »
these cars can rust every where ,so make sure you check in every nook and cranny ,they like to leak round windscreen and in under the scuttle panel which means the water gets in under the carpet and rots the floor out from the inside ,check out my car mate ,thatll give you a guide to where these can rust !!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:18, Sat 24 September 2011 »
Quote from: "bazr5gtt"
these cars can rust every where ,so make sure you check in every nook and cranny ,they like to leak round windscreen and in under the scuttle panel which means the water gets in under the carpet and rots the floor out from the inside ,check out my car mate ,thatll give you a guide to where these can rust !!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D

Right then, taking your advice I have done this and found that the battery tray (or what is left of it) is badly rusted. Tried to unscrew the bolts but they have badly rusted too. Copious amounts of penetrating fluid and I will get them this coming week, I will also take off the inner arch so I can get the bolt that fell through :D

Carpet up and back to poking things with screw drivers :lol:

A small prayer to the mighty God of oxidisation methinks.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18:12, Sat 24 September 2011 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: ill keep my fingers crossed for you mate,im hoping because she has been garaged you wont have to worry about the tin worm,besta luck fella !!!!!