Author Topic: Question  (Read 3103 times)

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Question
« on: 17:48, Tue 30 August 2011 »
i asked a while back on here in the diy/problems sub forums but didn't get a reply, anyways i'm in the process of somewhat restoring my car and i've wanted to remove the group a carb as i do plan on putting a standard one back on from all the trouble i've heard group a's give although personally i find my 5 runs spot on although i'm a newbie to all this carb business and 5's in general, can someone tell me what the hell this is in the picture? I've found an article about my actual car dating back to 2005 saying the only mod is a thing that allowed it to run on unleaded  fuel, although it's had a full rebuild since then, is it needed? it's the silver thing with the peeling sticker at the bottom of the pic, carbs looking moldy 8) any help would much be appreciated, mods feel free to move if i'm at fault i'm just searching for an answer :D

will take more pics if needed

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: 18:19, Tue 30 August 2011 »
Have never seen anything like that before, i'd be removing it from the car what ever it is. Wheres it connect into?
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18:28, Tue 30 August 2011 »
its plumbed inside the perc fan housing fan illtake it all off i think  its on the main fuel line to carb mate

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19:06, Tue 30 August 2011 »
Looks like one of those  'power adder' filter things, wasn't it supposed to help put lead in the petrol or do something to the fuel..

Or is it a one way valve to the brake servo, can't make it out, doesn't look like it's in the fuel line actually looking at that ??

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:19, Tue 30 August 2011 »
Does look like one of those inline 'octane boosters'

Zoom out and show us whats connected on the other end, as Steve says the fuel pipe for the carb still looks like goes into the plastic ducting, unless it's looped out of sight of the picture.

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:30, Tue 30 August 2011 »
I'll take the perc fan off tomorrow and see whats going down inside it, pretty sure it's on the main fuel feed though judging by the type of piping that's connected to it and going into the carb, i shall post picshurss

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19:30, Tue 30 August 2011 »
I'll take the perc fan off tomorrow and see whats going down inside it, pretty sure it's on the main fuel feed though judging by the type of piping that's connected to it and going into the carb, i shall post picshurss

sorry for  double post guys

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19:46, Tue 30 August 2011 »
Right i've just taken some pictures before dark, still can't see much but i've got a somewhat idea of how it works just not what it is, please correct me if i'm wrong though as i love to learn.

1 where i've circled i THINK this is the main fuel feed correct me if i'm wrong though..

2 then it passes through the      ufo (unidentified fucking object) judging from where the arrow for flow is pointing then..

3 this is where it loops back into the perc housing bit you can see the change is hose type if you get me then..

4 then it goes into the carb. you can see the the item in question bottom right of this photo, hope this helps i'll post more pics tomorrow when i get the perc fan off, cheers for the help guys

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19:53, Tue 30 August 2011 »
Throw it in the bin mate.

If I got this right a hose comes out of the perc fn housing (as it should as it keeps the fuel line cool) then into that octane booster & loops round the back & then back into the carb main fuel feed yeah ??

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20:03, Tue 30 August 2011 »
Remove it as it's been already said, asap.
As i know too they were for a limited use , meaning if it's on like 2-3 years it's semi blocked, and the inside material that reaches the fuel is at no good shape.

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20:05, Tue 30 August 2011 »
1000000% sure i just replied but it's looking like i haven't now haha, yeah steve that's my understanding of it, i'll remove it tomorrow and see whats what, thanks for the help guys :P

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20:30, Tue 30 August 2011 »
seen the same thing on my old mans mgb gt

its ment to be a lead replacement filter thingy but tbh its just ball bearings in a tube  :roll:  

we removed it and ran proper castrol lead aditive then we fitted unleaded valve seats during a rebuild we did

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20:32, Tue 30 August 2011 »
Pull the hose off the end nearest the perc fan housing & stick that on the carb fuel feed instead of the other end of it, try not to let it go or it will dissapear  :lol:
Then you should just be able to remove the offending item.

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13:07, Wed 31 August 2011 »
got the perc fan off this morning, it was connected how we all though, here's a pic anyway, removed the pos and connected where you see the yellow box to the carb, you can see where fuel flowed if you follow the yellow line, thanks for the help you champs! if how i've connected is wrong please inform me, i'm assuming it is though due to the stench of fuel from the line i connected

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22:47, Fri 02 September 2011 »
Looks ok to me, as long as you have the fuel feed from the reg now going to the carb :)