Author Topic: my very long track/road R5 gt turbo project  (Read 57070 times)

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: my very long track/road R5 gt turbo project
« Reply #255 on: 20:10, Thu 28 July 2011 »
The smoke could be the failed turbo?

I know everyone says oil burns blue, but everytime i have had turbo issues it has always blown out white/grey. Does it smell like burning oil?

It would make sense, especially if you had low oil pressure as that's almost certain to damage the turbo.

Clearly there isn't anything obviously wrong with the coolant system.

Hope you get it sorted!

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 20:40, Thu 28 July 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
The smoke could be the failed turbo?

I know everyone says oil burns blue, but everytime i have had turbo issues it has always blown out white/grey. Does it smell like burning oil?

It would make sense, especially if you had low oil pressure as that's almost certain to damage the turbo.

Clearly there isn't anything obviously wrong with the coolant system.

Hope you get it sorted!

Yes im thinking its the turbo, its definately not blue and doesnt really smell of anything, and yes mines like a white/grey colour mixed with alot of condensation :roll:

Id like to find out and make sure that it is the turbo and not the engine thats causing the smoke and hopefully find out that ive got good oil pressure at idle, then i can tuck her away in shed knowing what ive got to do to get her sorted again, because it would bug me if i didnt :lol: do u think i should get my turbo rebuilt at a cost of 320 up to 450 :shock:  :( or look for a good 2nd hand one.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 22:20, Thu 28 July 2011 »
There's peace of mind getting it rebuilt.

It's cheaper in the short term to get a decent 2nd hand one, but from past experiance they could last 10'000miles or 1000miles. Bit of a gamble really.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 08:50, Fri 29 July 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
There's peace of mind getting it rebuilt.

It's cheaper in the short term to get a decent 2nd hand one, but from past experiance they could last 10'000miles or 1000miles. Bit of a gamble really.
What he said... Buy new or get it refurbed, unless you know & trust the seller.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 21:35, Tue 02 August 2011 »
once my t2 heated up it was white smoke on boost,and that turbo was shagged ,still boosted tho lol,best if you can get to see a turbo in the flesh so you can check it out for yourself ,funny how some peoples no play in the shaft means its shagged  :D ,hope you get it sorted rel soon mate besta luck :wink: