Author Topic: Old Blue.  (Read 17240 times)

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Old Blue.
« on: 22:33, Thu 28 July 2011 »
Thought I would start a thread so I can remember all the hard work that will go into this car! It will without a doubt be a long and bumpy road. Collected from Scotland last weekend and drove her all the way home, 250ish miles. Next day she would not start :lol:  

She's showing a bit of surface rust and a few dinks. I'm yet to strip the interior, which ain't too bad, to check for internal rust. Sills have supposedly been done but look a bit suspect to me. Windscreen seal is hanging loose at the bottom and has about a ton of sealant on the inside. Anyone got a windscreen seal spare? Grill and front bumper need replacing. Rear spoiler I actually had on my first ever GT Turbo when I was a lad, so that stays.

Got a haynes manual so started removing bits of engine to see whats what. I flattened the battery trying to start her so took that out to charge and found:

Not much tray or clamp left! Also removed air filter, intercooler and pipes for better access and found these that need attention.

That bare wire goes to the silver thing in this pic:

Anyone tell me what it is cos I can't find it in the haynes manual.

THink I found the starting problem today though:

That was the worst, but the others weren't much better!
I've got a big list of parts to order tomorrow now :roll:

The last owner had her for 10 years and most of that she was stored in a shed. I expect there are plenty more exiting challenges within her for the future! Watch this space...

BabyBluGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Old Blue.
« Reply #1 on: 22:58, Thu 28 July 2011 »
Looks like youve got alot on your plate there fella but will be a rewarding experience ;)

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23:23, Thu 28 July 2011 »
The silver thing screwed into your cylinder head is the knock sensor.

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23:29, Thu 28 July 2011 »
Ah cheers mate. Looks like I can get away with just re insulating that earth wire then.
Do CGB Motorsport still do discounts for club members? I have a basket full of stuff on their web site and was going to ring them tomorrow.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 00:39, Fri 29 July 2011 »
Yes. 10%

Ring up and ask for Bob, tell him Ash from the forum sent you.  :D

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:35, Fri 29 July 2011 »
Sorted, parts on the way. Hopefully we should have life from the old girl next week.

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13:03, Mon 01 August 2011 »
Had a busy weekend with the car. Not got owt else fixed, but found lots more too fix! Stripped some of the interior to check the floor. Only found a bit of rust.
Drivers seat rail:

Drivers footwell. I think this is more surface though. The sponge was soaked but I can't see where the water has come in from.

Under the foam by the pedals, no rust further up though!?

I think I will have the sills replaced as I've found some small holes:

The passenger outer sill was replaced for the MOT last time, bu the side skirt is not right and has loads of silicone sealer along the top! Do I need to replace those inner sills or do you reckon some patching will do?
Of more concern to me is this:

Other areas checked:

Not had a good look underneath but some components may need attention:

The exhaust needs sorting pronto though cos it bangs on nearly every bit of the underside and drove me crazy on the way home last week!

I'm going to need some replacement dash parts too. Or maybe glue the cracks back together and cover all the grey bits with 3d carbon vinyl.

Generally speaking though I'm quite happy with the state of her. Plan is to sort the rust spots out and get her runnig sweet this year and after the winter to sort the bodykit and respray.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21:25, Tue 02 August 2011 »
looks a pretty good car mate,few bits need attention ,whats your plans ?

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22:22, Tue 02 August 2011 »
Plan now is to get her running reliably. Unfortunately it looks like I am changing jobs and will have to work 5 days a week :shock:  so will need to use the car for work.  I might even have to let her go for one that has already been sorted. Damn shame if it comes to that though.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 00:37, Wed 03 August 2011 »
To gain proper access to the inner sill i chopped away the outer sill, so that new one might of been done for no reason.

Trouble is, as i found out with mine, those little rusty scabs could potentially develop into really big holes. Have a peek at my thread, they are proper beautys!  :D

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:08, Wed 03 August 2011 »
Looks like you had some fun there mate. Maybe I should learn to weld too!

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16:14, Thu 04 August 2011 »
Did the aux tank strap yesterday. That was fun. I hate rusty nuts :x

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21:31, Thu 04 August 2011 »
you will just have to do a bit at a time mate ,so you can keep it a daily runner!!!

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21:34, Fri 05 August 2011 »
Put new distributor and leads on today. Car still won't start so will have to start looking at fueling next.

On another note. Yesterdays wheel removal revealed some more rusty bits. Do you think these need to be replaced?!?

My birthday soon. Guess what I'm after.  :lol:

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21:23, Sat 06 August 2011 »
It's alive!!

A guy from RTOC offered me help and came over today. Spark was ok and fuel was ok too so he did a fair bit of ringing other owners he knows for more ideas. Don't know exactly what the root cause was, we went round all sensors and connections and checked the spark plugs and all seemed ok. Something must have been loose cos after a bit of cranking she burst into life! Happy days :D

I need to find one of these now though:

It's off the passenger seat frame at ther front. It's a bit wobbly with only 1 bolt in! Anyone help with that?