Author Topic: 88 Tungsten R5GTT  (Read 4738 times)

Rupx

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
88 Tungsten R5GTT
« on: 22:24, Sun 17 July 2011 »
Picked this up today from Glenn(Superted) Nice 7.5hr round trip :shock:
Sort out an engine/turbo and carb first, then the body work 8)  Long term project, not going to be done over night :D  . Love it already 8)  
I'll keep updating pics as i go :mrgreen:

Kylegtt

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: 88 Tungsten R5GTT
« Reply #1 on: 23:06, Sun 17 July 2011 »
Thats a beauty mate
Yes i still go to school! And had 3 R5\'s..

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #2 on: 12:34, Mon 18 July 2011 »
Was a good car Glenn spent alot of time sorting things out on I don't think I actually saw it on the road normally in his garage or on his drive, think he only recently had it all running and on the road.  Will make a nice project and a very good base :D  keep the pic's flowing

robx1r

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13:36, Mon 18 July 2011 »
i love tungsten 5's.

whats on the to do list? is it as long as mine?

Rupx

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:22, Mon 18 July 2011 »
Source an engine, turbo and carb. Then save save save and put it into a body shop my mate works at ( it's too big a job for him to do on the side ) to get all the dents from 23 years out and look at any other bits that need sorting before stripping down and full respray. Then enjoy it . Keep it as standard as possible interior and exterior wise  :D

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:53, Tue 19 July 2011 »
looking good mate,cant wait to see how this baby turns out !!!!! keep the pics coming 8)

Rupx

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18:57, Fri 05 August 2011 »
I was supposed to be selling some mx bike parts to fund an engine from mike at Gt turbo spares , but got let down at the last minute  :( . Then an engine came up near me , good spec and really good price. So couldn't let it go. Fitted it over the last few nights.  8)  mega learning curve ..!!! She fired up straight away , but with a little oil leak from the oil feed to turbo . The whole banjo thing is bent ...! And won't seal, but apart from that it's all good. Gave it a full going over and replaced a few things before fitting. Could believe it when she fired up  8)  hope I've got all the vac hoses right.. Just need a new lower feed bit and bolt and she's good to go .
http://m148.photobucket.com/albumview/a ... PVzx5oQgC3

Rupx

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22:33, Tue 09 August 2011 »
New oil feed pipe and bajo bolt fitted today, no more oil leak. Warmed her up and took her for her first little spin with the donor engine fitted. Went gently with a couple of little blasts. Goes well, forgot how damn good they sound  8)  8)
No nasty noises and really smooth gearchanges...more than happy.
Going to sort out other tiny little niggles and shes good to go until i get the body work sorted

Rupx

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13:39, Sat 13 August 2011 »
Well after running her for a few runs over the last few nights , I decided that it sounds like a tractor. I was assured that the tappets had just been done , but after searching on here , found some old threads and thought I'd check myself. Number one valve was about 6 mm slack , not loose nuts just very badly adjusted. So reset all the rest and bugger me what a difference. Its now like a new car, so quiet and smooth. Drives so much better ...... But now after opening her up a few times, boosts really well but the bloody clutch is slipping as soon as hits 3-4 k ... Pi££ and sh! t ...  I really don't fancy taking it all back out the change the clutch. What pi££ s me off is that I was told it was an uprated clutch and to be fair looked pretty new or I would have done that whilst it was out.! Drives so well other than that. Anyone fancy changing the clutch for me for some ££££'s  8)  :lol:

Rupx

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17:07, Fri 19 August 2011 »
I have done over one hundred miles in her today with around 45 mins in standing traffic and she behaved faultlessly other than the clutch slipping. I have to say I enjoy driving this car as much if not more than my range rover  :lol: . To be honest I love this car to bits.. Someone remind me of that when I'm screaming at it next  8) . Clutch to be done in the next few weeks and I'll be one happy chappy....!!

megaflea

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.megaflea.net
« Reply #10 on: 22:32, Sat 20 August 2011 »
nice motor =D, if it makes you feel better i'm a member of the slippy clutch club,  gonna do mine Thursday night  woo
root@renault5gtt~]# echo "if you cant fix it" ; init 6 ; echo "it"

Rupx

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13:18, Sun 11 September 2011 »
Well , took her out today for a little drive, even though I know the clutch is slipping under boost.. And the poxy clutch cable snapped as I was driving out of Cheltenham  :evil:  Had to tow it to my friends garage who is a Renault man through and through  :D  so new cable, clutch and also any gaitors/seals that need doing on it whilst it's in there. Then its going on his rolling road to make sure the fueling is right.  Can't wait to get it back . I have been saving for this but wasnt expecting to do it right away ...! Ah well  8)  I can start saving for the body work next.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16:21, Sun 11 September 2011 »
Clutch cables are a common problem.

I would say it's definitely worth the few extra £££ for the genuine Renault cable. Then make sure it is routed correctly to prevent any unnecessary fraying.

Rupx

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17:27, Sat 17 September 2011 »
I just spent ages typing something and the bloody laptop crashed..!!!  :evil:
Just picked it up fom my mates garage, whilst it was out , cv gaitiors, drive shaft seals etc,steering rack gaitors, crank seal, new clutch and cable, then spent few hours on the rolling road. Idle jet badly soldered and drilled , now fixed and fueling now mint all through the range..
Made me smile as soon as i drove it away,goes lke stink, but cost me a fair whack.. :shock:  :shock: i only had it done or peace of mind and not silly bhp.
But enjoyed the drive home and it reminded me excatly why i wanted another one.. :D
Now to save for the paintwork 8)  8)  :lol:  :lol: